Play More. BE More!
The mission is simple: help teams maximize potential through play, connection & growth in the modern workplace!
FUNdamentals of Play facilitates experiential workshops ('PLAYshops') that teach modern day business skills using the power of PLAY! Skills vital to thriving teams such as: storytelling, emotional intelligence, innovation, empathy, resilience, etc.
Based in downtown Toronto, Fundamentals of Play is backed by the power of improv, positive psychology and creativity.
Why play? Play is so important for all ages. It’s essential to our creativity, development, health and ultimate happiness. It’s not only fun, it adds joy to our life, relieves stress and creates valuable connections to the world around us.
- PLAY UNAPOLOGETICALLY: Giving people permission to play and have more FUN so that they can have more joy & fulfillment in their lives! Not taking life too seriously, doing more of the things we love & being 100% engaged in what we do
- CONNECT PROFOUNDLY: Creating deeper connection and healthy relationships is the key to happiness and success. Sharing, bonding, putting down walls and connecting more profoundly allows us to create more meaningful and fruitful relationships
- GROW RELENTLESSLY: Keeping a growth mindset in order to allow for abundance to take place. Continually pushing and consistently improving, pushing for progress and exceeding limits. Creating the space for you and your team to step into more growth and new ideas
- SHINE AUTHENTICALLY: - Living through values & doing the world a service by being our true selves. Sharing our unique gifts with the world & making it a better place. Being liberated to show up in the world as authentically as possible, regardless of acceptance.
- CREATE PASSIONATELY: Living a passionate life by continually having new ideas & thinking outside the box. Challenging status quo for progress in order to make all of our lives more interesting and joyful
- IMPACT THE WORLD: Helping others, giving back and wanting to be of service to others. Contributing more love, happiness, fulfillment & joy, while creating lasting change in the world. Creating a ripple effect by helping change someone else's life when changing yours.
Who's Behind This Awesomesauce?
Hi, I’m Luis Serrano - founder and CFO (Chief Fun Officer) of FUNdamentals of Play. I bring tons of energy and experience from 6 years of improv and apply it to my facilitation so individuals and teams can learn organically while also having tons of fun!
I'd love to tell you about the inspiration behind this, because it’s also my story:
In 2015, I felt like I was on top of the world. I was engaged, had a dream job, healthy lifestyle, active social life, a close family. Life was GOOD….....or was it?
It quickly all went sideways. Within six months, my brother, dad and I all lost our jobs. My fiancé and I broke up. My world had turned upside-down and I suddenly felt like I had no purpose in life.
When I finally did get a new job, I still felt unfulfilled and like a failure. Severely depressed, feeling worthless and alone, I isolated myself from my friends and family.
It felt like I had arrived at a dead end.
Craving Change But Not Knowing Where To Start
One day I decided to take the first and most important step: I invested in myself. I hired a life coach. I studied positive psychology. I went to therapy. I got a puppy. I reconnected with my faith.
Most importantly, I started doing things I loved again and this developed into a passion for all things play.
My life slowly started to turn around. I felt like me again. I was able to be silly, laugh, play and see endless opportunities in front of me. I thought I was on top of the world before but it was on shaky ground. Now I’m on top but with a rock solid foundation.
I even got a tattoo to celebrate (ask me about it :))
Play, Positive Psychology And Trying New Things
These 3 things became the inspiration for my PLAYshops. It all works. I’m living proof. I now realize how much I can contribute to the world and the endless possibilities to do it. It helped me learn how to better connect and has led to a fulfilling career.
I want you to know that I’ve been there. I know what it feels like to feel stuck and lost in life. More importantly though, I know what it takes to get back on track and begin to thrive both personally and professionally.
The same can be true for you and your team.